![]() |
| JOHN GILL WHEELER |
He came home to recuperate, and, after fully recovering, on April 7th, 1862, at Austin, he enlisted in Company B, (the Tom Green Rifles) 4th Regiment of the Texas Brigade, also known as Hood’s Brigade, going to Virginia, and participating in many battles there, including the Battle of the Wilderness in Spotsylvania County, in which Wheeler lost his left arm. His service record for May & June, 1864 contains the following remark; "Absent - Left arm off - wounded May 6/64 at Wilderness".
![]() |
| List of Post Offices from National Archives catalog showing Lowell P. Parker as Postmaster at Wheeler's Store |
The new town of Manor was officially founded on January 20, 1872. J. G. Wheeler may have been the first person to purchase a lot in Manor. On February 5, 1872, “in consideration of services rendered and $10 to me paid”, James Manor sold lot 11 in block 24 to Wheeler. (Travis County Deed Records W, page 97) On May 25th, Wheeler purchased lot 12 in block 24 from the Houston and Texas Central Railroad. (Travis County Deed Records W, page 611) The purchase price was recorded as “...two hundred gold dollars... Cash”.
Soon a wood frame building was constructed and Wheeler’s Store was now located on Main Street in what would become known as downtown Manor.
![]() |
| Advertisement - Austin American Statesman newspaper, May 16, 1877 |
![]() |
| Advertisement - Austin American Statesman newspaper, August 1, 1877 |
June 4, 1889 J. G. Wheeler purchased lots 14, 16, 18, and 20 in block 24 from the Houston and Texas Central Railroad for $120. (Deed Record 87, pages251-252)
April 24, 1890 Mr. Wheeler traded lots 18 and 20 in block 24 to M. C. Abrams as guardian of, and on behalf of, Lucy and Lizzie Manor, for lots 13 and 15 in block 24. Wheeler now owns all of lots 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 in block 24 of downtown Manor.
Two years later, Wheeler began construction of four brick buildings next to his original wood frame store building. The Austin Weekly Statesman newspaper, October 20, 1892 printed this;
“Mr. J. G. Wheeler has let the contract for four brick stores, which will add greatly to the looks of the business portion of town.”
The November 26, 1892 edition of the Austin Daily Statesman newspaper said;
“The brick buildings of Colonel Wheeler are progressing rapidly.”
An article in The Austin American Statesman on March 22, 1894 reads as follows;
“Mr. J. G. Wheeler is probably one of the best known merchants in the eastern portion of Travis county. He began business in Manor in 1868, before the railroad was built, and today has one of the largest mercantile emporiums in the county. His large and commodious establishment on Main street, 25×100 feet in dimensions is replete with a large and diversified assortment of general merchandise. Passing into the next room which is 25×100 feet we found a large stock of molasses and case goods. Next door to this room is a similar one and here will be found a large and well selected stock of furniture. Just in the rear of these buildings another warehouse contains a large stock of salt and barbed wire. Last year Mr. Wheeler handled 2500 bales of cotton and the year previous some 3000 bales. Personally, Mr. Wheeler is a pleasant gentleman, who is known for his honesty and upright business methods, as well as for the interest he takes in the onward march of Manor.“
![]() |
| Receipt for payment in full on the account of Mrs. Polly Segar Leigh. From the papers of Eggleston D. Townes, courtesy of Cindy Gregg Koplin |
Sanborn Fire Insurance maps starting in 1900 show the five Wheeler buildings on the north side of block 24 at the corner of Lexington and Parsons street in Manor. (yellow is wood frame, red is brick)
By at least 1903, Wheeler was ready to retire from the store business.
![]() |
| Advertisement - Austin American Statesman newspaper, July 12, 1903 |
Between April 22, 1879 and September 23, 1881, J. G. Wheeler purchased lots 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10 in block 42 of Manor. In 1895 he built a large two story house on this property. Estimates placed the cost at $15,000.
![]() |
| Austin Daily Statesman, July 19, 1895 |
![]() |
| Austin Daily Statesman, Oct 26, 1895 |
Travis County Probate Minutes 13, page 583 show this as his homestead at the time of his death.
The photo below (taken from http://www.austinlibrary.com/ahc/outside/manor.htm) is said to be the Wheeler family in front of their home in Manor. (year unknown)
"Although having but one arm, Mr. Wheeler has always been, and yet is,a crack
shot, and shooting quail is his favorite recreation. He uses a No. 16 Parker,
bringing it to his left shoulder stump very dexterously, not withstanding he is a
man now verging upon three score and ten."
![]() |
| The Austin Statesman, June 20, 1910 |


















No comments:
Post a Comment